http://margosupcycledfashion.blogspot.com/

Friday, March 20, 2015

Blog Post #4

Hi, everyone. 

Welcome to my 4th written weekly update, the last one before my big presentation.  It's been a while since my last post, because the vlog took up all of my time last week.  I have a lot to report on and some things to update you guys on.  Let's take a look.

Since the last time I posted, a lot has happened.  We are a few weeks into the track season, so I've been balancing track and Insanity for quite a while now.  I have had my fair share of roadblocks, to say the least, but overall it has gone alright.  The first few days into the track season, I did my Insanity workouts with a fantastic enthusiasm.  I was a little bit naïve, I must admit, to think that I would have this kind of energy for the entire track season.  Anyway, the first few days I completed Insanity and track, both to the fullest of my ability.  I was tired, but I was very optimistic and excited about it.  After about the third day or so, I started to lose a lot of that enthusiasm I had.  All my activities had started to catch up with me.  I was insanely tired after the workouts and had a tough time completing all of my homework well.  It was impossible to wake up, and I could feel my performance in track and in Insanity starting to get worse.

During the next few days, I lost all motivation during Insanity.  During the workouts, instead of going as hard as I could, I would just go through the motions and not really get anything out of the workout.  Instead of doing as many pushups in the allotted time, I did as few as I could.  I realized that this was not going to work and I got discouraged.  Then I started to think about it more and applied some of the potential solutions I laid out last update.  I turned my off day from Sunday to Monday since Monday is the hardest workout. I also gave myself another off day.  SO instead of a 6 workout week, it turned into a 5 workout week.  I am okay with this decision, and hopefully you guys are too, because I am getting more out of it.  Overall, it becomes more beneficial.  Rather than 6 half-hearted workouts, I got 5 intense workouts.  My off days were Monday and Wednesday because they are the hardest workouts during track.

After I adjusted my schedule to fit the needs of the track season, I felt better and everything improved.  I completed my homework to a high standard and feel more energized.  I think the change in schedule and getting accustomed to this higher workload both contributed to the better feeling of my workouts.

This week I decided to look into how working out improves other areas of one's life, because I certainly felt like working out helped other areas of my personal life. 

According to livestrong.com, exercising releases endorphins within the brain.  Endorphins are chemicals released in the brain that "reduce the perception of pain, improve immunity and help you relax."  So, in essence, endorphins boost your mood and are all natural.  Not only does working out create these good chemicals, but it also reduces bad hormones like adrenalin and cortisol, which cause tension and anxiety.  This article also explains how exercising can help you emotional health.  It can provide a distraction from outside worries, and also widen social circles.

Another good source was an article by Leo Widrich published on fastcompany.com.  When you start exercising, your brain determines that it is a "moment of stress."  In order to protect yourself, your brain will release the BDNF protein which "has a protective and also reparative element to your memory neurons and acts as a reset switch."  Brain activity actually increases a lot during exercise(picture below) and this protein and endorphins helps the brain work during these times.


Through this research I figured out how exercising truly does influence other aspects of your life in a positive manner.  I noticed this for myself through my Insanity program, and I love doing these exercises. 

Stay with me.


-Evan Kuo

1 comment:

  1. Hey Evan! It's awesome to see how you have incorporated some of last unit's topic, the brain, into this marking period's project. Exercising is definitely a huge part of your life and it's awesome that you have come so far with Insanity I love seeing your progress from week to week. This diagram of an exercising brain vs. a couch potato brain is cool to see and gives a new perspective on working out. Besides just gaining muscle, you can be strengthening the brain! Great stuff. Good luck with your presentation!

    ReplyDelete